Thursday, July 12, 2018

I Like Thursdays #97 flamingos, art, shadows and a poodle

Welcome to this week's list of likes! I like flamingos (surprised? ) I am happily finding some flamingo treasures that have been packed away for 6 months plus. The lovely ceramic planter used to live on the back porch table in MD, now on my kitchen desk.
The tall one footed fluffy haired flamingo was a gift long ago from my sister Patty. She asked if it was too tacky... (can a flamingo item BE tacky??? I don't think so...) (It's a writing pen!!)
seriously the unpacking takes much longer than one might suspect, I wrote a story about that in this post (click here  )
I Like getting the kitchen boxes down to one level instead of teetering on the verge of avalanche.
I also have this crazy idea of finally organizing my stuff, hence piling it in categories on the table til it's all unpacked and I can see what I want to keep and what I no longer need.

It was a mess like this when I did the studio reorg back in MD, it's always darkest before the dawn.

Then there is the issue of trying to find a place in the kitchen for things, at arms reach. I feel like a hobbit the cabinets are so tall here. I didn't even try to take a pic. I love finding my flamingo hand towels, and finding new ones at Kohls
and finding this ceramic hot plate again...
I liked finding my plaster angel and pink quartz rock for the porch
along with the cow planter I think I got when DH and I met. It's a tiny bit rusty but so am I.
I love getting rid of the paper from a box, and finding out my neighbor will be moving so he wanted our boxes! Yea! We didn't want to recycle them, and selling them is just a nightmare. I love that the papers look like a bouquet by the door!!
Kale salad with chicken, and poodle
I liked eating outside at panera last Sunday. It was hot, Colorado is like a convection oven, but I did not like all the smoke from wildfires in neighboring states
It can be choking to me. I get sinus headaches. Poor people losing property from them. And still on the fourth of July, with a ban on fireworks, some eejit set off enormous ones in our neighborhood!

Stupid stupid.

We went to the Cherry Creek art festival in Denver on Friday. You know me, you know I love going to an event especially an art festival. It was hotter than you can imagine, (Milo stayed in the AC at home) but wonderful and deserves it's own post later.
I wanted many items but only got lunch, a really terrific Thai dish made in the worlds biggest wok

And I really wanted this etched glass bowl... more pics later
One artist did not allow me to take photos of his lovely sculptural baskets, but I looked up and saw this shadow of trees through his tent, so here is my artistic shot for shadow Sunday

I liked this post by Ann at     ( https://fretnotyourself)

It was an artistic discussion that really got my creative thoughts flowing. I can't find supplies at the moment but it was so interesting I wanted to go find them! I also loved this quilt, the way the two outside borders blended but also contrasted creating depth.

Milo's Moments 
Hi Y'all. I'm trying to get adjusted to the new cave, I even peed in the back yard. Finally one large enough to handle a poodle's pee. (I wouldn't go at the rental too small yard) This week I've been meeting dogs like 
Floyd the pug (hi Aunt Nancy) 


and Mooch


And the neighbor's son came over, and we played chase me and we played fetch the ball and I heard Mama laughing from the porch as I dragged him across the yard by a big stick! He was so funny running along while I tugged the stick! 

Please visit these friends also keeping track of likes this week, and consider joining us, just let me know in comments if you do an I Like post. One anything that made you happy this week. 
.maryinpeoriahandmade.blogspot.com
.http://littlepenguinquilts

.https://canadianneedlenana.blogspot.com/  
  .http://homesewnbyus

http://imworkingonaproject.blogspot.com/

https://grammasquiltingroom.blogspot.com/
craftscaviescontras
  http://whataboutrheema.blogspot.com/

http://www.daybyday

Minou's Minute 
https://quiltingreadersgarden.blogspot.com/
http://3poodlesandanana.blogspot.com/

Linking to:
Our World Tuesday
Travel_Tuesday 
https://comedy-plus.com/
sundays in the city
shadow shot sunday 
Pink Saturday!
saturdays-critters-
http://backroadstraveller.blogspot.com/
Thankful Thursdays pet parade
http://goodrandomfun.blogspot.com
http://itsasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/

34 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

it's great that you made such fab friends Milo ;O))) I hate unpacking boxes... I still have some on the attic since 1997... maybe I'll find the time to check them this year :O)

Mary in Boulder said...

Finding things you've always loved is what makes the hard job of unpacking bearable. And you have such fun loved things, all bright and colorful! I keep wanting to go to the Cherry Creek art festival and you and Drew have already gone; you both are real event lovers. It'll be interesting to read your upcoming post on it. No smoke here; I guess Boulder is a "bubble" in more ways than one.

Mary in Boulder said...

Oh, and thanks for writing about Ann's art connections post. I loved it and was so reminded of the connections and comparisons we used to make way back in my art history classes in college.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I like your kitchen and have never understood tall cupboards. Does anyone ever store stuff where w can't get it? Maybe it's just me that doesn't get that. Your flamingo collection is such fun! Thanks for including me. mary

Shannon said...

It's good to see you're making progress with the unpacking. I love all the flamingo hand towels. I keep seeing cute hand towels when I'm out and about and I've been *mostly* successful at resisting them.

Sara said...

I know what you mean about unpacking the whole kitchen and getting organized as you put it away. Figuring out a new kitchen layout takes some planning.

Since I love glass, that peek at the bowl has me curious.

Unknown said...

What great photos of your progress and the arts festival and, of course, hearing from Milo. I was going to call you yesterday, but my roundtoit has been broken. Will be travelling soon to see grands. Hugs, Sharon

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your flamingos everywhere - now I look for them, too. Glad Milo is making friends in the new neighborhood!

Brian's Home Blog said...

We love those Mingos and we have lots of Mingo things around here. You sure were having fun Milo! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Sandee said...

Unpacking can take forever because everything has to be clean before you put it away. I so remember.

I love flamingos too. I have more than one here.

Milo is having such a great time. Good.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

Suzanne said...

Setting up a new hours takes months, for me. I am always surprised by the items I find in the boxes. I saw a free flamingo quilt pattern on Craftsy.com (look at the quilt...pattern...free...newest tabs.) I am back to posting my "I like" on my blog.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like to unpack and find places for all my favorite things. And I love flamingos too...they are everywhere around here! lol Hugs!

MissPat said...

Hah! How many of your followers immediately think of you when they see flamingos? One of my quilting buddies who winters in FL is also into flamingos, so, of course, I see them everywhere now. Looks like you're making progress on the unpacking and sorting. It's great that your neighbor will be able to use your boxes, but sad that you are already losing a neighbor you've hardly met. But that also means you won't be the newbie in the neighbor anymore.
Hope you find the creative supplies soon so you can take some breaks from the unpacking.
Pat

Meditations in Motion said...

Loved reading about your likes. We are headed to CO next week. I am hoping the wildfires do not affect the trip too much. It has been so hot and dry out there.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna,
I am so thrilled to see you unpacking, and finding all of your fun treasures. And Milo is getting settled too and making friends. I had to giggle at Floyd - he's a cute pug but that name! Sorry about the wild fires; we are in desperate need of rain or we're going to have to worry as well. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Michelle said...

Unpacking is so hard. You get it all put away and then you have the boxes/trash to deal with! Whew! Looks like Milo is doing well. Nothing like a canine companion. Thank you for linking up today!

Angie in SoCal said...

Great post! Love that your neighbor can use the boxes. That was not a coincidence, but a minor miracle. Blessings,

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna and Drew!
Love you new kitchen! Looks great!
Floyd the pug looks like our neighbours dog!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Someone said moving is a good way to pare down your things. You start to wonder what it is you really really want. And also organizing properly on the other end. I know I got to put a bunch of stuff right to the basement that were cluttering up cupboards...now they can clutter down there out of sight, LOL. Hopefully this will be for awhile and you'll get to relax in new, organized surroundings, LeeAnna. Love to read the canine point of view too.

Tom said...

...Colorado isn't the only place that is like a convection oven this summer. But global warming is just fake news! Thanks for stopping by.

Ida said...

What a fun collection of Flamingo items. I like the towel, it's so pretty. The pen was fun. - Cute pug.

Kaja said...

Why is it that tidying/sorting always starts with making a big mess? But think how lovely it will be when everything has a place and you have only kept the things you really want and need, like flamingos.

A Colorful World said...

Neat list of "things." You found some great flamingo stuff! Have a great week!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

It's good making progress even if it's slow (remember Rome wasn't built in a day). I had forgotten that a fair number of artists at Cherry Creek Art Festival forbid photos. Talk about insecure but I guess I understand.

Sandy said...

I love your Kitchen! Very roomy.
There are a lot of festivals/ craft shows, etc around where you live. How fun to go wandering to see so many interesting things.
Sorry for missing the posting again. Sometimes it is just too much to put the computer on. I don't really go anywhere, so not much to say besides the flowers in the garden, and I have nearly shown them all!
Glad you are getting some unpacking done...and that the neighbour wanted the boxes! That was timely.
Hugs,
Sandy

PaintedThread said...

Lots of fun stuff. Yay for one layer of boxes.

denthe said...

I like all of your flamingo items :-) Unpacking can be such a drag, but it's always nice to find things back again. That looks like a great art festival. Wish we had more of these around here .... Enjoy your weekend!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Your planters and garden décor are wonderfully whimsical. I like flamingos too. I am glad your dogs seem to like your new home!

Sandee said...

An excellent Awww. You know I love flamingos.

Thanks for linking up.

Have a fabulous Awww Monday. ♥

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I really like the shadows that the stilt-walkers make.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Congrats to finding a new home! Opening boxes always feels like Christmas, especially when they've been closed for years. Much of our stuff is still in storage nearly 15 years later. I've opened some over the years to close them again.

Angie said...

"It's a little rusty, but so am I" Ha ha ha! Fabulous likes this week - glad you are getting your boxes to the non-avalanche stage - progress indeed! Hope Colorado cools down soon ...

Lady Fi said...

Glad you're settling in! Love that flamingo.

Intelliblog said...

I'm with you, I like flamingoes too!
Thanks for taking part in the Travel Tuesday meme.