Friday, May 22, 2015

The value of cropping

First of all, it's good to have fabric out and laying around!
All of these were still out after the audition phase of "Reaching...." so that's been a while.
Hanging around the stage door...

Trying it out on a silk background
I haven't shown Reaching yet although it's been judged because I might change the border.

There is one particular line in a border that I think may need softening. I pulled some of the fabrics from the piece and made hexagons, just to see if that would work.

Nope.






Nothing wasted though, as the mix of rock wall fabric, hexie fabric, and silk with embossed black flower fabric is a terrific blend.
It seems like an abstract of a scene to me, and uses colors not common in my work. This makes me stretch and engages my senses.
The strip of blue-ish fabric is my hand painted piece from Reaching's poem fabric.
Of course I now have yet another set of components not made into something.

As I made the hexagons, I realized once again the value of cropping a print. The yardage is beautiful, but cropped into the hexagon shape, brought it into a tiny little piece of art. Sewn together like this, it gives me the feel of a tiled patio with a stone wall and trailing vines.

Anyway, once again I will need to make some decisions and this time with fabrics that will be hard to cut up!!
Do you go around like this in your creativity??




7 comments:

Ann said...

These are my colors. Your little scene is very attractive. I hate to cut fabric until I'm ready to use it - but I'm working through those issues ;-)

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Luckily with Hostas and most plants, they'll grow back when split!
Love the tones with today's selection of fabrics!
Take care,
Joanne

Kathy said...

This piece is going to rock big time! And some fabrics come out time after time and don't get used because they just can't quite be cut. I feel that pain all the time, and that's how we get such huge stashes. But if you get rid of something, that's exactly when you need it! I'm trying to learn to just use it, use it, use it!

Mary Huey said...

And around and around and around . . . . love your opening sentence!! Having fabric laying around is what gets me into trouble much of the time!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love to have my fabric out where I can look at it, move it around and touch it! It helps to keep the ideas and creativity brewing!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful play time... love all these choices so you can't go wrong!

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

OMG. I was drooling so much over your colours, I had to read your words twice before I could regain control. What fabulous blendings. Hope you plan to post the finished result.
Pat F in Winnipeg