I Like Thursday # 516 vacations, flowers, recipes and a poodle!
welcome to this week's list of likes... starting with the blue skies of colorado
but less a like but something to discuss are our brown dry brittle lands. We are under strict watering rules and neighbors now ask, does your yard look as bad as ours?
(the only acceptable answer is "YEP" )
we spent weeks around 100F but the last few days have been merely in the 90's F.
Alfie always wants to go for another walk but the sidewalks and street are so hot. We ordered him some doggie crocs so we'll let you know how they are.
some yarrow in the community garden... I see a dog like a spaniel looking back over it's right shoulder do you see it?
red hot pokers in yellow in our neighbor's yard... she zeroscaped so no mowing for her now!
passed by this unusual sight (we live in a golfing neighborhood) and I started laughing at a hole in one limb
(Alfie peed on the trunk)
After 10 drops of rain, this sight was so gorgeous one night
Fine Dining:
I had some scrambled eggs with mushrooms left over, and some boiled potatoes, so I made a really yummy lunch for us this week.
The potatoes became sort of hash sauteed with minced onion + bell peppers
the eggs went into a quesadilla... if you melt butter in a hot pan, put in a tortilla with fillings, the tortilla crisps up...
this time I used leftover turkey bacon crumbled and cheddar cheese with the eggs.
It was so good!
and quick to make really. I had cut up the citrus on Monday making ambrosia a la my family
grapefruit and orange sections, coconut, cherries, pineapple chunks with banana slices
we had that for a sweet finish.... I love it when the stores have food to buy here
speaking of that, my four cucumber seeds are leafing out and I have one (!!!) tiny half inch cucumber on one... hope it makes it!
reading on audio book
A family of Native Americans tells their story which is very intriguing. Sad to hear the way people used to be so prejudiced against them... have you noticed when one group treats another badly (like taking their lands and livelihoods ) they then run them down to further punish them. I think it comes from the bully feeling a teensy bit guilty so they act like the group deserved it?
disgusting really
Mama all them 25 dogs in my first house bullied me too....SO glad we all found each other!
Mama: well, you are our boy now and you are adorable! Now we need to make sure you stop vomiting in the morning from stomach acid. Do you like me giving you a cup of kibble before bed to help with that?
Alfie, sure do! I also like that miniature golden doodle I met this week. You and his mama talked a long time and he was cute but seemed afraid of me, can you believe it? I never hurt a fly! Still I looked my cutest and hope he plays the next time we meet.
our conversation starter this week... feel free to use it with your spouse or children too
vivid memory of a family vacation you'll always remember... when you were young? or after you grew up, either. What made it stand out and memorable? People, place, activity, etc
When I was 5 my mother, aunt and uncle, another aunt, the woman who watched me, and I went cross country from Florida to LA, California!
I got my first barbie on my birthday that trip, got to see so much country including the painted desert, and Disney World at the end! We even went to Mexico. Our AC went out while crossing the desert with all those fat people squeezed in one sedan!
Regular family vacations included going to local beaches, or to our mountain getaway in Maggie Valley NC. I loved both. At the beach I fondly remember blow up floatie rings, eating sandwiches with sand in them! the scent of coppertone lotion. At the mountains, I had so much freedom and hiked a lot, picked blackberries by the side of the road, went to dances, auctions, amusement areas... and it was cooler than Florida which I loved.
I took a vacation to Europe as a young adult, my friend worked there as a nurse on base but lived on the economy in Frankfurt. I had a Eurail pass and went all over Several countries by myself and it was just wonderful.
I had a good laugh at your golf ball "hole in one limb" photo and Alfie peeing on the tree. And thanks for teaching me a new word -- "zeroscaped" -- what a perfect way to describe such yards!
The golf ball in the tree cracked me up. We've only had about 10 drops of rain in the past couple of weeks too. We need it badly. All the rain either goes around us, or forms east of us - but missing us either way. Hmmm - our family vacations were mostly going from Minnesota to Kansas to visit my dad's family. One year however we went "up north" to see the Headwaters of the Mississippi River, and other northern Minnesota places. Another time we went to the Wisconsin Dells. My mother was not a good traveler, and now as an adult I realize it was probably triggering the agoraphobia that was totally crippling in later years.
It has been too hot lately, and the poor air quality has been keeping me inside more than I'd like. Our HOA actually made the news because they are complaining to residents about brown lawns! ACK! I have been enjoying summer's delicious fruits-- it is Palisade peach season now! Yum!
Happy Birthday, Drew! Mike and I are laughing about the golf ball in the tree, too! Such a sweet photo of Alfie. So glad you found each other. Happy Thursday!
I had a good laugh at your golf ball "hole in one limb" photo and Alfie peeing on the tree. And thanks for teaching me a new word -- "zeroscaped" -- what a perfect way to describe such yards!
ReplyDeleteThe golf ball in the tree cracked me up. We've only had about 10 drops of rain in the past couple of weeks too. We need it badly. All the rain either goes around us, or forms east of us - but missing us either way. Hmmm - our family vacations were mostly going from Minnesota to Kansas to visit my dad's family. One year however we went "up north" to see the Headwaters of the Mississippi River, and other northern Minnesota places. Another time we went to the Wisconsin Dells. My mother was not a good traveler, and now as an adult I realize it was probably triggering the agoraphobia that was totally crippling in later years.
ReplyDeleteIt has been too hot lately, and the poor air quality has been keeping me inside more than I'd like. Our HOA actually made the news because they are complaining to residents about brown lawns! ACK! I have been enjoying summer's delicious fruits-- it is Palisade peach season now! Yum!
ReplyDeleteSo wonderful that you found each other!
ReplyDeletehttps://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2026/07/blog-post_30.html?m=0
Happy Birthday, Drew! Mike and I are laughing about the golf ball in the tree, too! Such a sweet photo of Alfie. So glad you found each other. Happy Thursday!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Drew! That golf ball is impressive.
ReplyDelete