Tuesday, January 17, 2017

A little silk purse

We exchanged zipper bags at our holiday bee meeting.
With so many patterns out there, I chose this one the sewing chick  to loosely follow, and it's free.

I have a drawer of silk fabrics so I decided to use four of those, and piece them with free form curves.
I did not take photos as I worked, so sorry, but if you like I will try to do a video tutorial on how I do them.


Silk is generally very well behaved for me, with a bit more fraying. These are four different weights and weaves, with the larges one having gold threads woven in... so pretty in person. I quilted the front and back with YLI gold thread also in a free curved design, which repeats curves but not the same curves.

Some of it is tie fabric, like the lining here. I covered the raw edges with  brown silk ribbon. 
Silk has a sheen. Not sparkle, but shiny. Reflective.
The zipper was so easy to put in. 
I like how a bag looks when you box the bottom so it will stand up.
While I was sewing I thought about embellishments and chose these.
I think they add a lot of character and beauty to a finished item.
Texture changes. A curved line leads your eye. Beads catch the light. A ribbon and charm on the zipper.
I hated to let it go!

17 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You clever woman you! This is just lovely. I would love to make one...have a old silk tie collection even, but am terrified of zippers!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
I would love to wear a blouse just like your description of this purse! Beautiful!

PaintedThread said...

Very pretty!

Julierose said...

this is lovely--rich looking...beautiful work--no wonder you hated to let it go..lol hugs, Julierose

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the vibrancy and elegance of that silk. It reminds me of a sari.

Mary in Boulder said...

Clearly you need to make another one for yourself!

Sara said...

I'll bet whoever received this was ecstatic! So pretty! You may need to make yourself one now too.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Beautifully exquisite! With your silk pieces, you should make one for yourself. 😇

claudia said...

That is the prettiest zippered bag I have ever seen! You do such nice thing and the embellishments are perfect!

sonja said...

I really really love this little red bag! I wish you had made one more for yourself! Perhaps there is more silk left?
I wear, paint, use, eat strawberries.... when i need a boost in energy.I just a boost when I read/looked at this post!!
Be well!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a pretty zipper pouch, and definitely a lucky recipient! I haven't tried sewing with curves like that yet, but I want to try them. They make your pouch look really unique!

Needled Mom said...

That is beautiful. I love the embellishments too.

PaulaB quilts said...

This lovely bag is your work of art. The bee came at the right time and the silks are really inspired. Love the curved piecing and the curved quilting with the beads added. So elegant. My favorite part is the glowing red inside. Wow!

Ann said...

Gorgeous. Delightful embellishments, too. What a good eye you have, LeeAnna.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I can understand why you hated to let this lovely bag go! Thanks for sharing your design elements. Your stitching, beads, and charms enhance the silks beautifully without overpowering the whole.

Susan said...

Lovely bag! So sad to let it go - can you make another? Thanks for sharing this bit of prettiness on Midweek Makers

Kris said...

oooh so beautiful!