Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Pictures from Lancaster Quilt Show


We had a fun time at the AQS show in Lancaster.
The above sign is over one of the many quilt shops with sales going on that weekend.
To the left, yours truly next to an ice sculpture of the word quilt, a spool of thread and some scissors near two of the shops.
See the post of Lancaster Loot from earlier

I have to show you the stuffed quilted deer head at the vendor from quiltblock in Exton PA
They have some totally unusual patterns.


On to the show floor in downtown Lancaster.
This is a pic of the book sale, hundreds of books on sale for $5 each.

I spent a moment digging thru the stacks

And now for a few pics of quilts... remember you can click on any to see details.


Let's start with Good Dogs by Sew Whatevers. There are 12 dogs on this quilt but once you see the purple poodle why go on???

I am showing mostly detail shots as I don't want to overwhelm your viewing pleasure, but had to take a pic of this hexie quilt, Roo Garden by Vicki Bonnhoff in Arizona. AWESOME.

I wasn't as struck by the horses on this quilt but the quilting.

The subtle color changes are due to thread color alone. Dense interesting quilting on a very large quilt.
I suspect a long-arm job. I wonder how a person like me quilting on my domestic machine can ever really compete with large quilts these days. Am I a dinosaur?


This is a detail of Vivaldi by Moonlight by Sandra Leichner. The quilting is awesome. Look at the dragonfly! They are the only color relief from an all white work quilt. It was show stopping for me.


These two photos are close ups of Hope Springs by Jan Martin

I show you details because the quilting was so outstanding. Again, suspect it's done on a long arm as it's a large quilt. The quilting is varied and tells a story again of dragonflies.
Seeing a lot of those at the moment.


I like the scene's quilted into the background. It makes an abstract design more approachable to me.






I leave you with this quilt Byrne's Spiral by
Beth Nufer and Clem Buzick.

Yep those spirals are pieced. The quilt is enormous. The quilting outstanding.

My husband attends local shows with me and seldom really likes a design. This one he liked enough to search out the ballot for viewer's choice and he voted for it!
He wants one like it....

Well I'm off to wash my new fabric!




18 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Thanks for the great tour!
Inspiring indeed!
Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Thanks for the great tour!
Inspiring indeed!
Take care,
Joanne

Jasmine said...

Thanks for sharing! That deer head is crazy. I can see why your husband liked that last quilt so much. It is stunning.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Fabulous details of beautiful quilts.

Don't worry, i have a long arm and there will never be a time I could compete with long armers who have only to choose a design and punch a button on their computer while they WATCH their machine quilt by iself!

Turid said...

Thank you! I adore that hexagon quilt so much. I've never seen a quilt like that before.

ann said...

LOVE the wringer washer. I have a wringer, but, sigh, no washer. The details could be done any FANTASTIC quilter; not me. Sometimes I wish I did not know how high the bar has been raised.

Funky Diva said...

LeeAnna, I enjoyed viewing the quilts very much. I agree with Mr. I'm Not Afraid of Color about that last quilt. It is beautiful. I also think the deer head is kind a interesting. I would of preferred to see the antlers to be made out of fabric and stuffed instead of real antlers. As for the washing machine, I grew up with one of those. Oh, the memories

Jayne said...

Thank you for sharing these gorgeous quilts! Inspiring!

Maria said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the quilted pink deer head.. Its awesome!!!

SuzK said...

Thank you LeeAnna! I wished I could make that show. As for your comments about competing with long arm quilting, I agree. The up-side of that is that excellence and simplicity of design are soon going to be the standout.

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

The Purple poodle is darling.

sonja said...

Oh what fun to be transported to a quilt show through your guidance! thank you!!

PugMom said...

Love the purple poodle, was there a pug?

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for sharing. I love quilt shows and wish I could go to more. I visit your blog often.

Ann said...

Love the deer head. There's a cardboard buffalo head at Buffalo Grill in Houston. They would make a nice pair.

Bonnie said...

I love what really good quilters can do with space on a quilt. Although I have a long arm I don't have the patience or skill to try any of these wonderful ideas. I too take pictures of quilting closeups. Although, honestly, most of the big regional shows I go to I'm looking at the vendors first and the quilts second.

Snowcatcher said...

Holy cow! I'm with you. How can I possibly ever compete with such eye-popping work! These pieces are simply stunning! Thank you for sharing.

Angie in SoCal said...

Gorgeous! - Thanks for the process, LeeAnne. The quilt show was great too.