Thursday, August 7, 2014

Happy Owl

Remember my shopping spree last weekend (shopping pictures) with the pink felt? This is what came of it!
I fell in love with this (free pattern) for an owl pin cushion and here she is. Obviously a she.
I changed it up a bit, surprised??
Starting with the decision to make it from felt. The color seems blue but it's vivid turquoise, yellow and pink.



I had a feeling I'd want to make more than one, so I made hard plastic templates. I held a template over the felt and cut, no tracing. After all the whole thing was made in less than an hour complete with cutting out.



 I keep my perle cotton embroidery thread in this wee little zipper bag that has elastic loops inside to hold thread cones. The green thing hanging on the zip pull is an embroidery needle threader which works like a charm. The owl is stuffed it with plastic beans and poly stuffing. Instead of the felt heart I put the wings on with heart buttons. I used the pink fabric to cut eyes instead of buttons too. So it's not perfectly made but it's cute as a, well, a button! And happy!


13 comments:

Maria said...

Hoot Hoot! I want one:-)

Joanne said...

How cute and Fun is that Owl!

Lily said...

He is sooooo lovely! Thank you for sharing :-)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Very fun! Little kits like this are such a fun break in the routine...love him!

Kaja said...

So so sweet. I love her spotty tummy and the heart buttons on her wings the best.

Jayne said...

Super cute! You did a fantastic job...love it!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

She's awfully cute. I love the pink. :)

Shannon said...

Too cute! What did you stuff him with?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So cute! A happy little owl to sit by your sewing machine! What a fun idea!

Christine S said...

I love pincushions and this one is so cute!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Aw, so cute!

Angela FlowersMoore said...

He is to cute.

Studio Paars said...

She is cute, as a very colorful button I would say.
Never sticking to a pattern, hmm, I never do that myself *hehe*

But thanks for the comment, sometimes it's nice to read these things. Even though I should know them, it's still nice to be reminded.