Thursday, March 13, 2014

Remembering

"Remember"     6" X 6"

This wee quilt was made to send to my friend Nancy who lost both her parents this year. Her loss effected me not only because her mother was an inspiration to me, but because her loss connects us.

Her mother taught me by example how to age gracefully, with beauty and humor, with strong beliefs and a world interest, and she always made me feel like she really saw who I was. That was a gift.




Nancy is a long time friend, who lives down South still. We worked and played together until I married and moved North. Distance is only a small problem though as each time we get a card, or see each other it's as if no time has passed. That is another gift.
Her loss reminded me of the precious woman who used to watch me as a child. She always made me feel important, smart, loved and safe. She was generous, and pious, and unassumingly humble in the best way. I miss her every day, but carry the fact that I was loved by her in my heart. She made a lasting contribution to my growth as a person and who I am today is due in large part to her. I called her Tatee, and no one knew where that came from.
I do. She used to say, "ta-ta" for thank you when she handed me anything. She became my thank you person. And that was a gift.

A quilt is so much better than a card, isn't it?
LeeAnna

14 comments:

Turid said...

Surely, and especially a beautiful quilt like this one, and with lovely memories weaved in.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Absolutely....this beautiful quilt is perfect!!!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Lovely gift, lovely sentiment. I'm sorry for your, and your friend's loss.

Maria said...

Oh my gosh! A quilt would be such a special gift to receive.

Glenda said...

She will treasure it for always. Every time she looks at it she will see the two people she loves so much. It is a lovely small quilt and gift. Kind Regards Glenda

monique's mess said...

A lovely and thoughtful gift to treasure and endure as will your friendship

Joanne said...

Hello LeeAaan,
What a beautiful, emotional and hart warming post! The quilt captures it all!

After all that snow and cold weather you have had I'd think that allergy season wouldn't start so soon! Glad to hear you can still enjoy the flowers!
We're back to normal March weather here!
Take care,
Joanne

Linda M said...

A very thoughtful remembrance.

The Inside Stori said...

What a generous gift and memorial!

ChristaQuilts said...

What a sweet quilt for such a precious friend!

M-R Charbonneau said...

What a thoughtful and beautiful memorial for your friend, Leanna!

Mary in Boulder said...

It's really wonderful, LeeAnna.

bearbuster said...

Such a lovely remembrance. That will surely become a family heirloom and a forever connection to you :) Pat

bearbuster said...

PS ... I hope you also included the words in a note. You express yourself as well in words as in quilts ... write that book one day!