|enlarge picture by clicking on it!|
Our two day bee scrap a-thon was the impetus for this one. I have been wanting to dig into my black and white collection for a while now, so this pattern from Judy Simmons' blog looked like fun. (Bonnie Hunter pattern)
I had a great time looking through the bin, and I only chose fabrics that were close to the size needed, 3 1/2" by 7 1/2"
and allowed myself to cut some favorite fabrics as well. I decided all fabrics had to come from the scrap management system or from fabric that was in shreds already.
I had a great time digging into the "cow" drawer for instance. I love that martini glass fabric and used it in Picasso Poodle You can see it HERE!
I have a back injury that caused me to have to find a way to quilt big quilts in sections. A long time ago I had a class on 12 ways to quilt as you go. There is not one way, there are many ways to do it. I've used many methods over the years.
It takes planning in the piecing stage. I decided to make three sections this time. I planned which one to quilt edge to edge, and which section must leave the backing free to pull back when sewing the tops back together.
I sewed in the ditch, quarter inch from each side, down the middles, some free motion around giraffe and martini glasses, and did the same thing across the quilt periodically.
I have been doing experiments with paint and freezer paper stencils. I also am hand beading tonight on a small art piece that I started a few weeks ago as a total experiment. It came from scraps a friend gave me and I'll show you tomorrow.