Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The process of choice making

the process of choice making

I have a deadline. This is not a new deadline, I've known about it for weeks but with the holidays, one thing and another, it slipped by. Anyone else have this problem?? It's now due tomorrow and this is the state of the artwork right now, at 11am. OY!
(One time I made a Hoffman challenge quilt in one week, including mailing to CA, and it won a prize!!)
I can do it! ( I hope)  This project is part of an ongoing study of great artists of the past, and this one is Frida Kahlo.
 I made a watercolor sketch of my idea weeks ago, see it at top of photo. I found the quote I like, chose the mistral font and printed it out to check for size and orientation before printing on fabric. I decided to use the paper instead,  right on the quilt. I cut it with my pinking sheers.
When I start a project like this, I gather fabrics, draw out parameters to scale, keep sketch on table, gather possible extras like scrabble tiles, old earings, skeleton key chain, rhinestone brads, previously discarded 3-d leaf and wire leaf.
The poodle will be purple with thick black threads quilted in wavy lines, and some yarn for unibrow, prismacolor pencil for shading.

The piece is to be 12 inches square like all the others.
I believe it is possible to finish, because the van is at the shop getting expensive repairs so I can't go anywhere. It's bitter cold so I am not tempted to walk too long. I am driven when in the middle of an idea.  I must pull myself away from my current obsession of a bight tumbling block quilt though.

Now if the quilting goddess/muse stays by my side, I should be able to show a finished piece tomorrow. Wish me luck!
LeeAnna

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Good Good Luck with your deadline! I hope you finish it in time!

Maria said...

You can do it! The layout looks wonderful....sometimes the best work done is under pressure!
Oh no! Car repairs are the worst:-(

Joanne said...

Deadline! Deadline ! Love a deadline! When it's down to the last minute! That's when most things happen! And all things are working in your favour! The weather for one! I too am tempted to go for a walk! Have fun creating in such a great space!
Looking forward to seeing the result!
Joanne

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Sounds like a fascinating project, hope you got it done in time! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Kay said...

I hope it went well, I would love to see it when it is done.